[Masak Bareng Yuk] Tom Yum Gong

Aha... the first month of year 2009 is almost gone. This is my very first posting this year. Wow...
Now, I'm speechless, I don't know what to say what to write. Haven't been blogging for a month make my brain 'stuck'; I don't know where to start. Hhhmm, Ok... I'll try my best :)

Our 3 weeks vacation in Indonesia was totally awesome. We enjoyed lots of good memorable food there. I took lots of pictures of those food; some of them have been uploaded in our Flickr, some of them are still sitting down nicely in my hard disk. Hopefully I'll have enough time & energy to upload all of them and write about those food here in my blog.

We're back to Mumbai 3 weeks ago, and my kids have started their school. Our activities are back to normal rhythm. Everything goes smooth. I'm so glad to see my kids are happy & healthy, enjoy the busy activities. Almost every night I listen to my daughter playing her violin, her recorder, or playing angklung, the Indonesia traditional bamboo musical instrument. Now, both of them enjoy biking, especially since my little boy can ride his bike without using the two small assistant wheels in the back. I feel grateful everytime watching them. Thanks to my darling husband who was willing to follow them jogging and running, making sure no one would get hurt.

There are many plans and many hope in 2009 in our family. Having healthy food everyday is one of my objectives. Other plan, ... let me keep them in my head for now :)
One of my long list plans is to be consistantly joining this 'Masak Bareng yuk' (Let's Cook Together) programme. Hopefully this year I'll never miss their monthly 'task'. Special thanks for Ayin, Deetha and Shinta, the trio hosts who have made this event become more enjoyable.

The theme of Masak Bareng Yuk for this month is Tom Yum Gong. A couple of days ago I started collecting the recipes from my recipe books. I found 2 of them; one is from Primarasa Indonesia, a special edition of 'Thailand Food' and another one is from Australian Women Weekly 'Meal Minutes Asian'. I have compared and mixed both recipes and be ready to cook. This morning, I stopped by in the supermarket near by our apartment to find coriander leaves. In one rack I found 'Tom Yum Paste' that actually was not in my shopping list, neither in my recipe ingredients. I couldn't help my hand to grab it, oooh... it's made in Thailand, and the price was not too expensive (Rs.30). So I bought it thinking that I'll use it someday and will compare the result with my first trial tonight.

IMG_9439a

This evening, when I was preparing all the ingredients in my kitchen table, suddenly I changed my mind. I wanted to use this Tom Yum Paste and follow the recipes printed behind the packaging. All the ingredients that I had prepared before were almost the same with the ingredients from that 'packaging' recipe. And... yipppi.... instantly our apartment smelled so good, as good as in a Thai Restaurant ha.ha.ha... Yeah, the Tom Yum Soup is perfect, very delicious. I served it with our homemade fried wonton. We really enjoyed it.

TomYam1TomYam2

Here is the recipe:
1. Boil 2 cups of water, when it is boiled put 1 pack of Tom Yum paste.
2. Put 15 gr of galangal, 30 gr of lemon grass and 50 gr of mushroom, then keep boiling.
3. Wait until it is boiled, just put 200 gr of shrimps or your favorite meal (Turn of the heat when it is boiled)
4. Pour 1/2 tbsp of fish sauce and 1/2 tbsp of lime juice or as preferred.
5. Before serving, just put 2-3 leaves of torn kaffir lime leaves and some well cut parsley (I used coriander leaves).

Comments

A.G said…
wah wajannya mirip aku punya.. beli di Indo tapi hihihi...

udangnya slurup bikin ngeces..aku doyan banget udang soalnya

makasih ya Vania
Anonymous said…
Mbak Vania, foto2 di Flickr-nya bikin rindu kampung halaman. Nanti saya balik, pengen Sumber Hidangan dan the Kiosk nich...thanks for sharing!
Love your picture of the Tom Yum!
Rita said…
mau nyicipin tom yumnya slurrrp... enaknya
Rurie said…
Aku datang nyicipin tom yum.....punyaku juga udah tayang :)
Jangan lupa ikutan eventku.......hahaha aku ingetin nih...kan kmrn minta diingetin hihi.
Wuuaa... ada pangsit goreng juga, ikutan nyicip ya... :p

Makasih dah ikutan lagi, bulan masih ada lho.. ;)
Anonymous said…
mbak vania, saya punya blog baru http://ulangtahunanakku.blogspot.com
saya tulis alamat blog mbak vania sebagai blog favourite. boleh ya?

novia
cilegon
Nisa-mom said…
Mba.. prop nya keren skaleee.. klo foto mah jangan di tanya deh..super duper keren :-)

Udah nonton film Slumdog Millioner mba ? wah..disini laris manis loh
Indonesia Eats said…
Huaa naksir wajannya...
yummy... punyaku juga udah tayang
Dita said…
slurrrpppppp!! barusan gue makan tom yam
Anonymous said…
Van, resepmu di-feature di site ini loh.... http://indonesianfoods.wordpress.com/. Dah kulonuwun kah?
Jagungmanis said…
aduh, aku datang paling telat nih nyicip tom yumnya :(
gara-gara kemaren masuk angin...
masih ada gak yaaa sisa tom yum-nya?
Dwiana P said…
ikutan icip2 tom yum Van, segerrr bener kelihatannya. Itu si panci kecil cute bener *sambil ngarep*
Patricia said…
Mau nanya nich Mbak soal Muffin boleh ya, gak connect ama Tom Yum nya hehehe. Kalau bermalam muffin suka agak keras ya, biasanya mbak oven lagi atau dikukus ngak ?

Anyway Tom Yum Gong nya kelihatan lebih delicious than the one I made last Sunday. Kurang bumbu, kebanyakan air hehehe.
Thanks.
Anonymous said…
Mau wajannya..cantik! Tapi diisi tom yam ya Mba..
Anonymous said…
asyik banget sup nya Van, gue jg doyan deh itu sup apalagi kalo pedezz :)
Anonymous said…
Van, selamat ya udah menang DMBLGIT! makan2 dong :D
Elsye said…
selamat ya Van...menang DMBLGIT...ditunggu makan2 tom yum...qiqiqiqiiq
sefa firdaus said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
sefa firdaus said…
Congratulations on winning DMBLGIT February 2009. The moment I saw this photo, I knew that it'll win the badge, and you made it. Yay!

mangap Van, komen sebelumnya gue delete :)) salah soalnya
Dwiana P said…
Van, congrat buat dmblgit. siipp fotonya cantek!
Vania said…
dear All...
thank you ucapan selamatnya.
Ini ada faktor kebetulan dan keberuntungan ajah :). Foto dengan background hitam, yg aslinya adalah meja pantry-ku. Maklum fotonya malem2, menjelang dinner. Cahaya seadanya, dari lampu dapur dan ruang makan ajah. Gak pake reflektor dkk. Agak buru fotonya.

Buat yg naksir si panci kecil itu, ayolah maen2 ke India. Ini barang paling gampang ditemui di sini. Di spm, di pasar pasti nemu deh. Berbagai ukuran, ada 2-3 ukuran lg yg lebih kecil dari ini, dan ada bbrp ukuran lebih gede lagi. Barang 'stainless steel' di sini gak gitu mahal, mulai dari yg qualitas murmer sampe qualitas export ada deh.
Yooook maen ke Mumbai....

Sekali lagi Makasih yah.
*Ini kemenangan yg ngobatin kesedihan gw, krn camera gw rusak dan perbaikinya muahalll banget.
Amanda said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
Hi Vania, boleh share resep pangsit gorengnya? Looks absolutely scrumptious! :9
Vania said…
Hello...
Mbak/Mas, resep pangsit goreng ada di sini ya;
http://v-recipes.blogspot.com/2006/04/pangsit-ayam-udang.html

Good luck.
Amanda said…
I like the contents of this blog. Nice information has shared. love the way you have maintain this blog.
Dhow cruise Dubai
Anonymous said…

I prefer to read this kind of stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is good. Thanks for the post.

FreeCouponDeals
Unknown said…
I picture this may well be various upon the written content material? nevertheless I still imagine that it could be suitable for nearly any form of subject subject matter, because it would regularly be enjoyable to decide a warm and pleasant face or maybe hear a voice when preliminary landing. news